The term “breast surgery” covers a wide variety of surgical procedures, including therapeutic treatments. Yankton Medical Clinic offers consultations and breast surgery for patients who are looking for several breast surgery options. Whether you require inpatient treatment or an outpatient procedure, our surgeons will be with you every step of the way to ensure all of your questions are answered–and you know what to expect at every moment.
Breast Surgery Procedures
Dr. Ryan Garry at Yankton Medical Clinic offers therapeutic breast surgeries. The most common procedures include the following:
- Mastectomy: This surgical procedure involves the removal of breast tissue, usually as part of a breast cancer treatment program.
- Lumpectomy: A lumpectomy is a type of breast cancer surgery in which the tumor and a small amount of surrounding tissue called the margin is removed. The purpose of a lumpectomy is to remove the cancerous cells.
While these are all “breast surgery” procedures, each is performed for very different purposes. If you have questions about which breast procedure is right for your goals and desired outcomes, talk to your surgeon or schedule a consultation.
Modern mastectomy surgery is available in several different types. Which type is right for you will depend on your prognosis, your condition, and your overall treatment plan. The available types include:
- A skin-sparing mastectomy is a right choice for some types of tumors. This procedure removes the breast tissue, nipple, and areola. But not the skin.
- Hidden scar procedure places the surgery scar in a location not easily seen so the scar is hidden when it heals.
- Dr. Garry works with a plastic surgeon and consults on nipple-sparing mastectomies to remove only the breast tissue, sparing the skin, nipple, and areola.
- Breast reconstruction is performed immediately after both the skin and nipple-sparing procedures performed by the plastic surgeon who works with Dr. Garry.
How Do You Get Breast Surgery?
In some cases, breast surgery will be important to schedule quickly. This may certainly be the case with a mastectomy. In other cases, elective procedures can have a more convenient timetable. All of these breast surgery procedures begin with a consultation.
During your consultation:
- You’ll have an opportunity to ask any questions you might have about your procedure.
- You’ll discuss the pre and post-operative instructions you may be given.
- Dr. Ryan Garry will help you determine which surgical approach is best for your desired results.
Dr. Garry is a board-certified Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He specializes in the newest breast surgery technologies in Norfolk and Yankton. For more information or to make an appointment, call Yankton at 605-664-2742 or Norfolk at 402-844-8110.